Parental Alienation

Parental alienation is when one parent denies access to a child or severely limits the other parent’s involvement.

For children, there may be nothing more traumatic than the loss of their family. A divorce does not have to mean the end of the family unit. Following a divorce, many parents work to together to protect the best interests of the children. A good family therapist is invaluable when making this transition.

On the other end of the spectrum, are high conflict cases where the parents are at complete odds with one another. In such cases, one parent, the alienating parent may do any of the following to the targeted parent:

  • Deny the targeted parent access to the child
  • Attempt to marginalize the targeted parent’s participation or presence in the child’s life
  • Attempt to brainwash the child, so that the child is aligned with the alienating parent and hates the targeted parent
  • Deny the targeted parent access to medical and/or school records
  • Make unilateral decisions regarding the child

To be clear, these situations are very different from scenarios where there is domestic abuse or where there has been estrangement between one parent and the child. With estrangement, the rift between parent and child has been caused by the parent through their failure to participate in their child’s upbringing in a meaningful way.

What Impact Does Parental Alienation Have On A Child?

The long-term outcomes for children who have experienced parental alienation are not good. Some of the outcomes experienced include:

  • Low self-esteem
  • Depression
  • Drug use
  • Suicide
  • Difficulty with future relationships

What Can You Do If You Believe Your Child Is Being Alienated From You?

If you believe that your child is the victim of parental alienation, you must seek an attorney familiar with parental alienation and its legal consequences and emotional outcomes. There is nothing more heartbreaking than watching a child become the pawn in a dispute between two parents. I am attorney Jennifer H. Milne, and I know how important it is to take action and manage your child’s emotional damage. At my firm, South Florida Legal Rescue, I am familiar with parental alienation and how it will impact your case. Parental alienation is illegal in Florida. Call 561-303-0400 to discuss your case today!